• Welcome to the Pontiac Trans Am Community, the Official Home of the PTA! Sign up for a (FREE) account today!

1982 - 84 Recaro Trans Ams

Trans Am Guru

Lone Crusader
Reaction score
Website
www.pontiactransam.com
full

When Pontiac introduced its third-generation Firebird Trans Am for the 1982 model year, it wanted to remind consumers that the model’s heritage hadn’t been forgotten. Dating to 1976 as a production model (and 1973 as a concept), the black-with-gold paint scheme immortalized by the 1977 film Smokey and the Bandit had always proven popular with buyers, so in 1982 Pontiac revived a special edition Trans Am order code from the second generation: RPO Y84, this time associated with the Recaro Trans Am Special Edition.

full

Announced on January 28, 1982, the Recaro Trans Am was intended to be a limited-production model available only through zone office orders. Customers first selected color code 19 (black); interior trim 18E9 (charcoal); tires QYZ (215/65R15 blackwall steel-belted radials); then Recaro option Y84. Next, prospective buyers had to choose between LU5, the 165-horsepower, 305-cu.in. Crossfire-Injection V-8, which came mated only to a three-speed automatic transmission; or LG4, the 145-horsepower, 305-cu.in. carbureted V-8, available with a four-speed manual transmission.

full

The Recaro package included charcoal-colored Parella cloth Recaro front seats, a luxury rear seat, “luxury door pads,” color-keyed seat belts, door handle inserts with the Recaro name, and a T-top roof. The WS6 Special Performance package was also part of the deal, and this added four-wheel disc brakes; Goodyear Eagle GT radials; stiffer springs and heavy-duty dampers; 12.7:1 quick-ratio steering; stiffer front and rear anti-roll bars; a limited slip differential with 3.23:1 gears; the “Turbo Bulge” hood; and “Turbo Cast” aluminum wheels with “bowling ball” inserts. For the Recaro Trans Am, the wheels were finished in gold, while the inserts came in black with gold Pontiac emblems.

full

full

With the Crossfire fuel injection and the automatic transmission, the Monroney label on the car’s window jumped by $2,968; selecting the slightly less powerful carbureted V-8 and the four-speed manual transmission increased the price by $2,486. Given that the 1982 Firebird Trans Am carried a base price of $9,658, ordering the Recaro package added nearly 26-percent to the retail price with the carbureted V-8 and the four-speed manual transmission, or almost 31-percent for the fuel-injected V-8 with the three-speed automatic. Though an exact production number isn’t clear, Pontiac reportedly built about 2,000 of the Recaro Trans Ams for the 1982 model year, accounting for less than four-percent of the Trans Ams sold (52,960 units).

Dig deeper, and the 1982 Recaro Trans Ams get even more mysterious. Some insist that the T-top roof could be excluded from the package, despite the fact that it was specified in Pontiac’s announcement bulletin. The WS6 package was mandated for Recaro-equipped cars as well, but parts shortages meant that some examples were built with the WS7 handling package instead, which used drum rear brakes instead of discs.

A 1983 Recaro T/A:
full

full

full

The Recaro Trans Am packages returned for 1983 and 1984, but the black with gold livery found its way onto other Trans Am models as well. After the 1984 model year, the Recaro package was retired, but the company’s seats continued to be available as a deluxe seat option on select Firebirds and Trans Ams through the 1986 model year.

A 1984 Recaro T/A:
full

KATRAV8

Reaction score
Door handle inserts like 'Fuel Injection' were part of an optional equipment package?
My trans am initially used to be a crossfire injected model and door handles had no label.

Reactions: Knightrider189

KATRAV8

Reaction score
Here is my bird.

Once upon a time was crossfire injected. Converted to the carb.

The engine is 305 and have been rebuilt 1 year ago.

My next step to restore the fuel injection system.

IMG_20190610_025203.jpg
IMG_20190610_031534.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Pontiac Trans Am

Smokey
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.pontiactransam.com

Knightrider189

Reaction score
Here is my bird.

Once upon a time was crossfire injected. Converted to the carb.

The engine is 305 and have been rebuilt 1 year ago.

My next step to restore the fuel injection system.

View attachment 1091View attachment 1092

Very nice and clean!

Black 1989 Pontiac Formula Firebird 5.7L, WS6, automatic, T-tops, all OEM...

darron427

Reaction score
My older sister's husband bought her a 1982 Recaro Trans Am off the showroom floor back in 1982.

She still has it sitting in her yard. It was the loaded model.

Crossfire fuel injection, t-tops, Recaro racing seats.

The entire works.

I don't know the exact price they paid for it, but it was way too much. Lol, it stayed torn up all the time.

The brakes went out and could never keep them working correctly.

It wouldn't run half the time because of some issue with the crossfire fuel injection, which from what I understand, is why they only put the crossfire injection on the car for that one year, 1982.

She barely drove it much out of the 1980s.

She got so frustrated with it trying to keep it running that she used to laugh about having spent more on trying to keep it running than she paid for it, which was a lot for its day.

I guess the car hit its 40th anniversary this year, and for the last 30 years, it's sat in her yard rotting away.

She only kept it for sentimental reasons.

When you start talking about it, she immediately starts fussing about what a piece of junk it turned out to be.

Her husband traded a nearly brand new Mustang limited in on it, and she loved the mustang.

It's a sore subject for her.

Hopefully, some people had better luck with their than she did.

Hers turned out to be a costly yard ornament.

It's so rusty now you can't open the doors, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pontiac Trans Am

Smokey
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.pontiactransam.com
My older sister's husband bought her a 1982 Recaro Trans Am off the showroom floor back in 1982.

She still has it sitting in her yard. It was the loaded model.

Crossfire fuel injection, t-tops, Recaro racing seats.

The entire works.

I don't know the exact price they paid for it, but it was way too much. Lol, it stayed torn up all the time.

The brakes went out and could never keep them working correctly.

It wouldn't run half the time because of some issue with the crossfire fuel injection, which from what I understand, is why they only put the crossfire injection on the car for that one year, 1982.

She barely drove it much out of the 1980s.

She got so frustrated with it trying to keep it running that she used to laugh about having spent more on trying to keep it running than she paid for it, which was a lot for its day.

I guess the car hit its 40th anniversary this year, and for the last 30 years, it's sat in her yard rotting away.

She only kept it for sentimental reasons.

When you start talking about it, she immediately starts fussing about what a piece of junk it turned out to be.

Her husband traded a nearly brand new Mustang limited in on it, and she loved the mustang.

It's a sore subject for her.

Hopefully, some people had better luck with their than she did.

Hers turned out to be a costly yard ornament.

It's so rusty now you can't open the doors, lol.
Get us some pics of the yard ornament!

Thank you,
PTA Staff

Reactions: Knightrider189