• Welcome to the Pontiac Trans Am Community, the Official Home of the PTA! Sign up for a (FREE) account today!

Rear Shock Question

Seventy6er

Reaction score
Someone pointed out that I may have the wrong shocks (coiled) on the rear of my 76 TA.

Sure enough, I checked the assembly manual, which isn't indicated.

I've already been shopping around and saw some Koni ones, but I wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions or at least can identify WHY this type would be on there in the first place.

The one depicted seems to be leaking on the other side, and I'm hearing strange noises in that area while driving, so I suspect it's time for new ones anyway.

76TArearShock.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Seventy6er

Reaction score
There's no telling what drives people to install stuff sometimes; I wouldn’t dwell on it too much.

You’ll get a headache.

You’ve already bought new springs, haven’t you?
Not yet; I'm still going through my usual OCD phases with it.

I'm trying to make sure that if I do this and select a certain pair, I don't change the stance of how she sits.

The whole $$$ involved is, well, not for the wife's knowledge if I can get away with it, lol.

76stance.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Munkyslut

Reaction score
Okay, then, if you don’t need to replace the springs, I’d fit some really good adjustable shocks all around.

They’ll make the car feel like it has better spring rates and control body movement on the road.

If you can stretch to them I always recommend QA-1, I’ve used them many times on GM F bodies & E body Mopars, excellent quality & performance.

Bilstein is excellent, too; I think Hotchkis specifies them.

Seventy6er

Reaction score
Okay, then, if you don’t need to replace the springs, I’d fit some really good adjustable shocks all around.

They’ll make the car feel like it has better spring rates and control body movement on the road.

If you can stretch to them I always recommend QA-1, I’ve used them many times on GM F bodies & E body Mopars, excellent quality & performance.

Bilstein is excellent, too; I think Hotchkis specifies them.
Thanks, mate.

I'm zeroing in on the QA-1s now.

Question: The rears aren't supposed to have springs, correct?

Munkyslut

Reaction score
That’s correct, but the fronts don’t have springs either; they are located inside the coil as you are using the stock mounts.

There are a couple of QA-1 adjustable shocks, the single adj and double adj. I always go for the single on a street-driven car.👍