• Welcome to the Pontiac Trans Am Community, the Official Home of the PTA! Sign up for a (FREE) account today!

Fuel Tank Repairs

86 Silverbird

Reaction score
When I bought this car, it was not running, and when the ignition key was turned on, the fuel tank did not make a sound.

After checking the fuses and fuel pump relay, I determined the fuel pump was bad.

Fuel tank, mounting strap (1)a.jpg

I could smell gas, so I knew there was at least one or more leaks and a fuel pump issue, so I undertook the gas tank removal.

This involved taking off the cat-back exhaust, the trailing arms, the panhard bar, the drop links, the lower shock bolts, and the filler cap and trim.

Exhaust and Fuel tank, Removed.jpg

The inside of the gas tank was rusty because the car had not been on the road since 1994, so I sent the tank out to be dipped and repaired and a plastic liner installed.

Fuel tank, Plastic liner (19)a.jpg

The red liner looks much better than the rust that was there.

Fuel tank, Rusty inside (6)a.jpg

My gas gauge wasn't working, so I installed a complete assembly into the newly painted tank.

Fuel tank, Pump install (5)a.jpg

I then reinstalled the tank.

Fuel tank, Reinstalled (1)a.jpg

Since I had the heat shield and exhausted, I finished them with high-temperature paint.

Heat shields, reinsalled (6)a.jpg

When I reassembled and tested it, I replaced the fuel filter, flushed the fuel lines, and had the car undercoated.

Exhaust after undercoating (1)a.jpg

Exhaust, Painting (15)a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Knightrider189

Reaction score
Outstanding writeup.

Thanks.

1989 Pontiac Formula Firebird, 5.7, all OEM