• Welcome to the Pontiac Trans Am Community, the Official Home of the PTA! Sign up for a (FREE) account today!

TH350 Cold Stick Level?

Seventy6er

Reaction score
FWIW - I recently had to service my stock TH350 and wondered if it could gauge the correct fluid levels at the cold temperature.

Various other forums were typical of the mind that cold levels don't matter, only hot, but even then, there were differing methods.

So I went through the motions of adding and retracting until the hot level was precisely on the indicated line and later found the sweet spot at cold.

So, this is just an FYI for those wondering, but if y'all found different cold levels that may indicate ideal at hot or have recommendations in general, then do share.

Sometimes, it seems like the TH350 has a mind of its own.

TH350ColdLevel.jpg

Munkyslut

Reaction score
Just a little tip that’s hopefully going to help someone out.

As we all know, fluid levels on GM boxes are as much of a problem as high as too low, and draining the pan is a pain, even if you have an aftermarket one with a drain plug.

I use a handheld vacuum pump, a Mityvac, on a yard of 1/4” or 3/8” clear hose dropped down the filler tube.

You could use a cheap brake bleeder to do the same job.

It only takes a dozen pumps of the lever to draw up a pint of fluid.👍

Seventy6er

Reaction score
Excellent, like the genius with the Mityvac!

I should've gone that route, but a few years ago, I spent $70 on Amazon for this gadget (it works tremendously but is pricey).

Pump.png

Reactions: Knightrider189