• Welcome to the Pontiac Trans Am Community, the Official Home of the PTA! Sign up for a (FREE) account today!

Iginition Switch/Lock Issue - Cannot Remove Key/Car Will Not Start?

JEDATIDE

Reaction score
After reading the title, you know my problem; however, let me explain how I got there.

It started with replacing the transmission pan gasket (still not fixed).

The shift lever cable got kinked and would no longer put the car in park.

I got a new one and had finagled the new mounting with adjustments.

I removed the rod from the steering linkage and later re-connected it.

I went to start the car, and the ignition (key) was locked; it would not turn at all (aftermarket).

They were ordered and replaced with GM ignition.

The key turned forward (clockwise), lights came on the dash, and the car would not start.

I went to turn the ignition switch off, and it will not return to the lock position to remove key.

I have a feeling that it has something to do with steering linkage.

Any advice, suggestions, or a miracle; you know exactly what my problem is.

Thank you,
Jeff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Knightrider189

JEDATIDE

Reaction score
Yes, sir, I tried that.

My wife was in the car trying to turn the ignition, and I was under the vehicle, moving the linkage (no luck).

I continued my research and found that the steering column, closest to the dash, turns.

I was able to turn the column (counterclockwise) and was able to get the switch to the lock position, and remove the key.

However, the car would not turn over, and the shifter would not lock in place with the switch in the closed position.

I will continue working with the steering linkage rod on Monday.

Thanks for the help.

chuckwp

Reaction score
Did you figure this out? If similar to a Camaro, the idea is that the rod coming from the transmission connects to the steering column.

The idea is not to allow the key to be removed unless the car is in the park.

If you do not care about that, remove the rod, rotate the ear on the column until you can turn the switch to the position that allows key removal, and find a way to secure it in that position.

The car not cranking could be related to the shift cable replacement causing the neutral safety switch to be out of adjustment.