• Welcome to the Pontiac Trans Am Community, the Official Home of the PTA! Sign up for a (FREE) account today!

1979 Trans Am Olds 403 Camshaft?

baumb24

Reaction score
Screenshot_20240228_213105_Chrome.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Munkyslut

Reaction score
Hi there & welcome to the forum!

The one significant factor in holding back an Olds 403 in a ‘bird is compression, namely the lack of it.

Just under 8:1 CR is too low to take full advantage of any gains from a cam & or intake upgrade.

This doesn’t necessarily mean ripping the block apart & fitting flat top pistons, although that would be the ideal solution.

Achieving 1 & a half-point increase in compression is quickly done by installing 350 small chamber heads early or, even better, a pair of aftermarket aluminum heads, Edelbrock, etc.

The main factors are, of course, how much investment is compared to achieve the best results & that’s all dependant on what you are hoping for.

Better quarter times?

Munkyslut

Reaction score
Sorry, I forgot to add this, but it’s relevant. Have you considered changing the rear gears?

My ‘79 T/A has it’s original 403 with bone stock internals, so I understand how the car’s acceleration could underwhelm you. 😂

The cheapest & easiest way to knock a clear second or maybe more is to install some steeper gears; the original was prob 2.41:1 on a stock 403 or 2.73:1 on a WS6 optioned car (like mine).

There’s no point in leaving these gear ratios installed if you want stronger acceleration, especially if you still plan some engine mods.

I advise spending a couple hundred on a set of gears & enjoying the gains while you plan the rest of the modifications.

If you haven’t already done so, check out the Mondello Perf website.

https://mondelloperformance.com/

baumb24

Reaction score
I'm aware of compression issues and weak bottom end.

I'm looking for a little low-end torque, and lopey idle for this season.

Next winter, I'll build up the 403 or put a Pontiac 400 or 455.

Munkyslut

Reaction score
Yeah 3.08 or 3.23’s would both work fine for highway (70 ish) cruising while still giving a noticeable improvement in acceleration, especially from a standing start.

Are you still using the factory TH350?

The 79’s with Pontiac 400’s & 4 speeds came equipped with 3.23s from the factory.

I was hoping you wouldn’t believe all the negative talk surrounding the 403’s open window bottom end; I’ve never seen one fail from anything other than poor maintenance & assembly.

Reactions: Knightrider189

Munkyslut

Reaction score
Yeah, of course, assuming the bearing components didn’t look worn or get damaged on removal & they weren’t noisy to start with.

You’ll still have to set up the lash, tho, as every casting is different. 👍