• Welcome to the Pontiac Trans Am Community, the Official Home of the PTA! Sign up for a (FREE) account today!

Power steering

Michael Munro

Reaction score
Hello all
Newbie here...

I have a 1976 Trans Am (the second owner, have had the car since 6/85).

Replacing the power steering pump and the pulley had become fused to the shaft. Tried impact wrench with puller and WOULD NOT come off.

Actually deformed the pulley. So, I’m having to replace the pulley.

My problem is that all the aftermarket stuff I’ve tried does not fit (pulley one pump does not align with the pulley on the crankshaft).

Anyone have any experience here? I’m at a loss and would appreciate advice/feedback.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael Munro

Reaction score
There are three pulleys attaches to harmonic balancer/crankshaft.

Starting from front of car, they are:

1) Power steering

2) Alternator

3) Air conditioner

With this pump/pulley, the belt on the pump/pulley is roughly 1/2” shy of aligning with the pulley on the harmonic balancer/crankshaft.

All this leads me to conclude that the pump is SCREAMING at me that it’s the wrong pump.

Michael Munro

Reaction score
Jpeg

Attachments

• C2403C7B-583C-4919-8545-BCE04EE12D2E.jpeg
    C2403C7B-583C-4919-8545-BCE04EE12D2E.jpeg
    108.7 KB · Views: 258

9T8WS6

Reaction score
Hello all
Newbie here...

I have a 1976 Trans Am (the second owner, have had the car since 6/85).

Replacing the power steering pump and the pulley had become fused to the shaft. Tried impact wrench with puller and WOULD NOT come off.

Actually deformed the pulley. So, I’m having to replace the pulley.

My problem is that all the aftermarket stuff I’ve tried does not fit (pulley one pump does not align with the pulley on the crankshaft).

Anyone have any experience here? I’m at a loss and would appreciate advice/feedback.

Thanks

Have you tried calling Classic Industries yet?

They are located just South of Long Beach California (Orange County) but they carry pretty much all parts needed for the T/A's and many other classic rides. They can probably help you with the correct part IF that's the issue.

I've ordered from them a number of times and been to their place a few times and it's awesome for ONS parts and replacements.

I hope you get it worked out. Good luck.