• Welcome to the Pontiac Trans Am Community, the Official Home of the PTA! Sign up for a (FREE) account today!

Hole On Underside Of Engine?

Ministringham

Reaction score
Hello!

I drove my 1998 Pontiac firebird base convertible v6 1200 miles from Utah to Texas recently and after that, I got a cylinder 6 misfire reading.

It happened to me that I was also about due for my routine spark plug replacement so I chalked it up to that and bout some spark plugs.

I went ahead and rolled under my car to notice a hole in the bottom of my engine/transmission something.

I don't quite know what it is, maybe I knocked a hole in it, maybe a bolt rattled out, maybe that's what's causing me problems? I don't know.

Somebody, please let me know if that is supposed to be there or what I should do to fix it.

There is a slight oil leak and I'm not currently concerned about that.

I know the pictures aren't great so in an attempt to explain its location better I will say that its the first piece I see behind the oil pan.

Please let me know and thank you!

rsz_img_20200919_094025.jpg
rsz_img_20200919_094200.jpg

Sweet bird

Reaction score
Hello!

I drove my 1998 Pontiac firebird base convertible v6 1200 miles from Utah to Texas recently and after that, I got a cylinder 6 misfire reading.

It happened to me that I was also about due for my routine spark plug replacement so I chalked it up to that and bout some spark plugs.

I went ahead and rolled under my car to notice a hole in the bottom of my engine/transmission something.

I don't quite know what it is, maybe I knocked a hole in it, maybe a bolt rattled out, maybe that's what's causing me problems? I don't know.

Somebody, please let me know if that is supposed to be there or what I should do to fix it.

There is a slight oil leak and I'm not currently concerned about that.

I know the pictures aren't great so in an attempt to explain its location better I will say that its the first piece I see behind the oil pan.

Please let me know and thank you!

View attachment 1377View attachment 1378
That’s is a drain hole for oil and trans fluid if you have a leak.

Last edited by a moderator: