• Welcome to the Pontiac Trans Am Community, the Official Home of the PTA! Sign up for a (FREE) account today!

79 Trans am Keys

Jolo

Reaction score
I just purchased a 79 TA with a worn ignition key. Before I order a new ignition switch cylinder I want to know which keys operate all the locks. I can buy a door lock, glove box and trunk kit in addition to the ignition but I seem to recall the ignition, doors and glove box were the same key, and the trunk was it’s own oval key. Is that correct . Right now I have the oval key operating the doors and the ignition operates the glove box. The trunk lock it broken So I don’t know what key should operate it. None of the keys I have are original GM keys. They are all replacements

thanks

Reactions: Knightrider189

Knightrider189

Reaction score
I just purchased a 79 TA with a worn ignition key. Before I order a new ignition switch cylinder I want to know which keys operate all the locks. I can buy a door lock, glove box and trunk kit in addition to the ignition but I seem to recall the ignition, doors and glove box were the same key, and the trunk was it’s own oval key. Is that correct . Right now I have the oval key operating the doors and the ignition operates the glove box. The trunk lock it broken So I don’t know what key should operate it. None of the keys I have are original GM keys. They are all replacements

thanks

I’m not sure on the 79 but my 89 the door key fits the trunk also and the ignition key was a stand alone.

Any old vehicle I had, the door key fit the glove box and the trunk.

Black 1989 Pontiac Formula Firebird 5.7L, WS6, automatic, T-tops, all OEM...

Last edited by a moderator:

Jolo

Reaction score
I rummaged through the garage and I found the full 1978 Pontiac Service Manual I bought along with the Fisher Body Manual with my 78 Trans am In the body manual I was able to see a door diagram depicting the oval key for the Pontiac door locks. You were correct kr189 Thank you

Knightrider189

Reaction score
I rummaged through the garage and I found the full 1978 Pontiac Service Manual I bought along with the Fisher Body Manual with my 78 Trans am In the body manual I was able to see a door diagram depicting the oval key for the Pontiac door locks. You were correct kr189 Thank you

I’m glad you were able to get it figured out friend.

Black 1989 Pontiac Formula Firebird 5.7L, WS6, automatic, T-tops, all OEM...

Reactions: Pontiac Trans Am