• Welcome to the Pontiac Trans Am Community, the Official Home of the PTA! Sign up for a (FREE) account today!

2001 WS6 Inner Headlights Not Working

Ws64life

Reaction score
I bought a 2001 WS6 6 speed with 60k miles.

The inner headlights do not come on, just the outer headlights, and I wonder if the inner headlights are the low beams?

Wanting to buy 2 new ones to see if that's the problem and want to make sure I buy the correct ones.

They do look like they have moisture in them.

The dimmer switch doesn't feel the smoothest either, but it clicks and lets the fog lights come on off as I click it, with the outer headlights staying on the whole time.

Thanks

FB_IMG_1622572448812.jpg

Ws64life

Reaction score
I'm at work right now; the car is home covered up.

Looking at the front of the car with the headlights up, you got 2 square headlights on each side.

The ones on the outside of each side work, but the ones inside each side don't work.

The two headlights closest to the center of the hood aren't working.

Thanks

Pontiac Trans Am

Smokey
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.pontiactransam.com
That would be your high and low beams.

The outside is low, and the inside is high, and for both to be out doesn't seem right with a car with only 60K.

Have you checked the level on the steering column?

Thank you,
PTA Staff

Ws64life

Reaction score
I know nothing about the level of the steering column, lol.

I do notice quite a bit of moisture inside the inner headlights tho

Last edited by a moderator:

Ws64life

Reaction score
Ohh ok.

Yes, I did.

It has been a long time since I've been in a vehicle old enough to have a switch like that, but it seems somewhat rough to me, but it does click, and no, the inner headlights do not come on, but the outer lights stay on, and the fog lights come on and off as I use the switch.

Ws64life

Reaction score
Thanks alot.

I'm sure I will be asking for help alot on here as the car needs a lot of little things done to it.

Like it needs headlight motor gears, it sounds like all speakers are blown but one, and it needs a new clutch.

It runs and pulls hard, but if I try to launch it even a little, it smokes the clutch.

Reactions: Pontiac Trans Am

Cedonulli

Reaction score
Thanks alot.

I'm sure I will be asking for help alot on here as the car needs a lot of little things done to it.

Like it needs headlight motor gears, it sounds like all speakers are blown but one, and it needs a new clutch.

It runs and pulls hard, but if I try to launch it even a little, it smokes the clutch.

If you change your light motors, be sure and get BRASS gears and not plastic.

You can actually take those things apart and just change the gear but its not a super easy thing to get them apart--they were not meant for it.

Look this up in Amazon--- "brass gear headlight motors pontiac firebird."

Tbone

Reaction score
I bought a 2001 WS6 6 speed with 60k miles.

The inner headlights do not come on, just the outer headlights, and I wonder if the inner headlights are the low beams?

Wanting to buy 2 new ones to see if that's the problem and want to make sure I buy the correct ones.

They do look like they have moisture in them.

The dimmer switch doesn't feel the smoothest either, but it clicks and lets the fog lights come on off as I click it, with the outer headlights staying on the whole time.

Thanks

View attachment 1659

Tbone

Reaction score
I believe I read all the posts & replies & didn’t see that u turned the lights on then pulled on the steering column lever that turns ur High Beams on?

If u have & they don’t work, 1st find someone who can access the OBD port 4 analyzer codes.

2nd If no code indicates a problem & u want to know whether u need to go to testing switches & harness, u can go to a parts house where if u buy there for simple stuff they advertise they’ll install in their parking lot ( I think Advanced Auto does).

Have them change lights if they don’t work they’ll take them back & u will know before spending time or money whether u need to go the testing route to resolve.

Then someone experienced needs to start by leaving in high beam position with blue HB lite on dash & start checking Voltage w gauge at the actual connector @ the lights not working.

If it shows approx 12v it’s your bad lights that need to b changed.

If no voltage there’s an issue either @ the switch u say is sticky or there’s an issue in between somewhere along with the harness routing. As it doesn’t sound like u r a Motor-head (a compliment to someone who works on cars ?) u will need a mechanic versed in electrical systems.