• Welcome to the Pontiac Trans Am Community, the Official Home of the PTA! Sign up for a (FREE) account today!

1982 TA - No Power To The Ignition, But Power To The Lights

DBuck

Reaction score
I have a 1982 TA Recaro that I have owned since new.

I am refurbishing it and just recently I went to start it after moving it and I had no power to the ignition.

No check engine light or instruments but the light goes on when the door is opened and there is the power to the horn.

The manual that I have does not show a fusible link in the wiring from the starter as there is in later models.

Is this correct?

I recently replaced the starter and the wiring looks clean but I did not check the upper end of the power line that goes to the ignition.

Is there a fusible link in that year?

Where does the power line from the starter go to in the engine bay?

Could it be the computer? Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Pontiac Trans Am

Pontiac Trans Am

Smokey
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.pontiactransam.com
I have a 1982 TA Recaro that I have owned since new.

I am refurbishing it and just recently I went to start it after moving it and I had no power to the ignition.

No check engine light or instruments but the light goes on when the door is opened and there is the power to the horn.

The manual that I have does not show a fusible link in the wiring from the starter as there is in later models.

Is this correct?

I recently replaced the starter and the wiring looks clean but I did not check the upper end of the power line that goes to the ignition.

Is there a fusible link in that year?

Where does the power line from the starter go to in the engine bay?

Could it be the computer? Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.
Let's ask @Trans Am Guru

God Bless,
PTA Staff

DBuck

Reaction score
I went to the starter to check the wiring and found what appears to be fusible links and one of them was burned and disconnected.

It appears that the wire had been rubbing on the guide tube and that all the pulling and moving to replace the starter shorted it out to the tube.

The problem I have now is that I cannot find a specification that tells me the size of the fusible link that I need to replace that wiring.

The second wire on the connector looks OK and I assume that is the wire to the alternator but I don't know that.

Both of these fusible links (?) have a white tubular connector attaching them to their wires.

I assume that is a waterproof connector that was installed at the factory but I don't know that and question if it is a fusible link.

At the auto parts stores, I can find fusible links but they come in different diameters and I don't know which is the correct one.

Can anyone give me the specs that the fusible link needs in order to protect the system and not burn out when used on the road restarting the car at some point?

I am attaching pictures that show what is there now.

IMG_3095.JPG

IMG_3096.JPG

IMG_3097.JPG