• Welcome to the Pontiac Trans Am Community, the Official Home of the PTA! Sign up for a (FREE) account today!

1980 Trans Am - Normal Operating Temperature

1980Transam_Red

Reaction score
Hi
Just wondering, what is the normal running temperature with a 195-degree thermostat?

I have a 1980 Trans Am, 4.9L engine, with air.

I just changed the thermostat twice now, and the temperature shows just above 220 and then dies.

Thanks

Tbone

Reaction score
I think you indicate engine quits running @ 220F, while I think 210 degrees is the center of your gauge.

That seems a bit high to me as old school standards r 185-200.

With the stock 195 degrees Stat Pontiac wanted the thermostat keeping temp @ least @ 195, which could keep ur engine running @ 195-210, but your engine quitting as ur Temp gauge hits 220 shouldn’t be happening & there must be another issue, or temp gauge isn’t accurate!

I don’t think GM put a coolant overheat protection that shuts engine down until later as the newer GM engines do with computer sensors & shutting engine off. If no protection device like that & ur engine overheats enough to shut down, it will b running very rough, coughing & shaking w no power, then quit.

If it ever happens to you, you would not forget it.

1980Transam_Red

Reaction score
Hi TBone

I have gone on YouTube and other sites and have read about the electronic control module and the coil to be replaced.

I have ordered the two parts and am waiting for delivery.

Once installed and hopefully working, I will let you know if it works.

1980Transam_Red

Reaction score
Hi All.

Just to let you know that I just installed the new IEC (AC Delco, GM), and the car has spark and ran for an hour without shutting down in my driveway.

The temp did go to 220 but went to 210 once I took it around the block.

1980Transam_Red

Reaction score
I want to thank all the people who responded on all the forums.

You were all great.

I still can't believe a small electrical component that I had initially bought from Rock Auto did not work.

After going back to Rock Auto and getting a GM part, it worked.

I also learned always to get a GM part if possible.