• Welcome to the Pontiac Trans Am Community, the Official Home of the PTA! Sign up for a (FREE) account today!

1978 TA - Wrecked - What's The Value?

scoopyg

Reaction score
My neighbor has asked me about a wrecked '78 Trans Am, as I am the neighborhood classic car guy.

The car belongs to a friend of theirs.

The car was in running #4 condition before the owner (with Parkinson's disease) ran head-on into something a couple of weeks ago.

The owner can't park a wrecked car in his neighborhood, so my neighbors have it in their driveway undercover.

The owner was hurt and is in some rehab place.

The car took a hard hit in the front, so the front clip is toast, but the engine looks like it didn't sustain any damage.

The windshield is cracked.

The door had to be cut off to extract the guy from the car, so the door was in the back seat.

I'm not sure of the engine, but likely a 400 with an automatic.

Snowflake wheels are oxidized pretty severely.

Northern car, with a bit of rust around the rear wheel arches. T-tops, gold paint in poor shape, looks like peeling clear coat.

The Interior is complete but needs to be redone.

Any idea what this thing might be worth?

Would there be an engine package or trim package that would make it more valuable? Or is it just a parts car at this point?

I could get the VIN tomorrow if that helped pinpoint a value. The car is in Tampa.

Thanks for any advice you TA guys could offer.

Reactions: Pontiac Trans Am

FGT1988

Reaction score
I'm a newbie here, so I couldn't tell you precisely what the vehicle is worth, but I hope the owner recovers well from his injury, and God bless him.

I'm in central FL, so if you or the owner decide to dismantle for parts, please let me know.

Hopefully, he had full coverage and could get something out of it.